Gamescom adventures

Since I spent the last days on the Gamescom in Cologne, I thought they would be the perfect topic for my next post. I will probably split it into three parts, each part for one day, so it stays reasonable. For the most part, will talk about the games I played and what I thought about them. Let's get started!

DAY 1
The first day I spent mostly with indie games, simply because I was too lazy to line up for the big titles like Smash Brothers, Tomb Raider etc. But that is not particularly a bad thing, since I found almost everyone of them a good investement of my time. Now, what exactly did I play?

Lost Ember by Mooneye Studios


I wish there was a picture of the pig you can play. It was so cute
Lost Ember was simpley beautiful. In this game you play as a wolf who can transform into other animals. While I don't know what the story is about, the atmosphere was fantastic. But it wasn't without flaws: The demo was pretty long, which isn't really fitting for the Gamescom where you want to have a quick look at a game. When the demo is too long, the queque grows longer and more people will leave, since they don't want to wait for 1 or 2 hours for one indie game. There were still some bugs, but the devs were very attentive and listened to feedback. As a whole, I am looking forward to see the final game.



Night Call by MonkeyMoon
I admired the look of this game fromm the very beggining, with it's gray colors and this detective feeling it owns. This Noire game builds entirely on its Narrative with an interesting, even though not revolutionary premise: You are a taxi driver, trying to solve a murder case while at the same time paying your rents and cigarettes, It reminded me a bit of Papers Please, since you have to be careful how much you want to ask you guests. ask them too much, and you might get not as much tip. I liked what I saw and I will definitly get the game, simply because I enjoyed the writing.


Wargroove by Chucklefish Ltd.
Wargroove can be titled as a child of the Advance Wars series (which was developed by the same people as Fire Emblem). Sadly, I never got to play an Advance Wars game, so this was my perfect chance! And I wasn't disappointed. While the explanation was somewhat lacking, I enjoyed the difficulty and the strategic part.
 The artstyle is fun to look at and I think many strategic game fans will have a blast with this game!





Gardens Between by The Voxel Agents
I looked forward to this game so much. And every second I played was so relaxing and beautiful. You play as two childhood friends who explore little islands (or gardens). In this game you solve puzzles by turning the time forward and backwards. Sometimes you press a button, but there is not much else you can do. For some this might be not enough gameplay, but I loved how different it was. It wasn|t an ordeal to watch the animations more than once, since they were so crisp and well made.




Unheard
To be honest, I didn't leave with the most positive opinion on this game: It wasn't ver exciting and most of all: It was very load and you couldn't turn the volume down. After this game, I had a bad headache. In this game you try to find preperators of different crimes by listening to audioclips. That is pretty mcuh all you do and it wasn't really for me.



Owlboy by D-Pad Studio
I knew that I would like Owlboy and I pretty much only played it to be sure, that it's worth its price. And it has proven itself worthy. The graphics are beautiful, the characters fun, the gameplay tight. I look forward to play its full version and can only recommend it to every Metroidvania fan out there.







Frankenstein: Birth of a Myth by La Belle Games
This game made me curious: There was not much known about it, no trailer and not many infos. But I fell in love with it the instant I started playing. In this game you tell the story of Frankenstein in your onw way, your choices decide what kind of creature the monster will be, what kind of adventure it will experience. I loved it, not only was it well written but the graphics are stunning as well. I am not sure, how much "game" it will be and how much interactive story, but I look forward nonetheless.



Touch Type Tale - Strategic Gaming by Pumpernickel Studio
At first, I played this game only because there was a free seat, but I quickly became addicted. This game is a strategic typing adventure, meaning every command is a word you have to type. I found it very fun and enjoyed the style of it, reminding me of the movie "The Secret book of Kells". I will definetly keep an eye on this one.





This was day 1, day 2 will follow soon! On day two, I played bigger titles, so I hope you join me on my adventures next time as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character Analysis - Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology

Story Analysis - Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology