Professor Layton and the Curious Village: Review

I decided that my first review would be about the game Professor Layton and the Curious Village. I chose it, because it was one of the first games I really played and I want to forget the horror that was Lady Layton. Now, let's begin!


Don`t worry Layton, those are probably nice people.
Just don`t trust those with a moustache. 


Summary:

Professor Layton and the Curious Village is a puzzle adventure game developed by Level-5, which released on February 15, 2007 on the DS. In the game you play as, who would have guessed, Professor Hershel Layton and his somewhat obnoxious apprentice. Layton is a archaeology professor in London with a knack for solving puzzles. When he get`s a mysterious letter asking for help in an inheritance dispute and the search of a golden apple, he can`t resist. And so, the first of many adventures started, as the player experienced the adventures of Professor Layton.


Positive Aspects:

- The riddles: this game has over 120 puzzles, including math puzzles, slide puzzles and many more. Each one is a blast to solve and they are necessary to complete, as they move the story forward. And even if you can`t find a solution (trust me, I didn`t found many solutions when I was 7), there are hint coins, which will help you.

- The story: The story is well written, with many surprising plot twists and turns. I don`t want to spoil anything, but the presentation of the story is grandios.

- The characters: Seldom I`ve seen such a colourful and fun bunch of characters. With Layton we have a spectacular lead character and even though Luke is sometimes a little bit pesky, he is still a good addition to the cast.

- Audio&Art: This game has a beautiful soundtrack that fits the game like Cinderella her glass shoe. No matter how many times I heard the soundtrack, it never became boring. And while the art may be relative simple, it suits the game and is presenting the characters and their quirks perfectly.


USP(Unique selling point)

While this game has many great aspects, most of them are just the cherry on top. The real USP are the puzzles. If they were boring or too repetitive, all positive points I mentioned couldn`t save the game. But luckily this isn`t the case and the puzzles are exciting brain teasers.

Negative Aspects and how could they be improved?

There are not many things left to be criticised, as you may have noticed. There is just one thing that I didn`t really liked and those were the mini-games in Laytons suitcase. Except the room decoration, that was fun.  I found the rest of them boring, because they were basically just about finding objects and putting them in the right places. And i know that room decoration was the same, but I liked it, because the characters commented on what I was doing.

But the good thing is, everything minor I would critique, was improved in the second instalment of the series. So, you go developers!



Fazit:


As you may have noticed, Professor Layton and the Curious Village is a good game. I doesn`t have many faults and if you like games that are more brain teasers than button mashing, this is a game for you. It shines through a great story, fun characters and stellar puzzles. So go play it now and experience it for yourself. Or don`t play it and regret it for the rest of you life. The choice is up to you.

PS: Expect a MDA analysis coming soon to this game.


This is probably how others perceive my cooking skills













Disclaimer: I hereby declare, that I do not own the rights to any of this images or the game. All rights belong to the owner. No Copyright Infringement Intended.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character Analysis - Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology

Story Analysis - Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology